That's what I want to remember about my brother. The day he made up his mind to fly... and he did.
– Sam Finch's letter about Calvin
Calvin Finch (ˈkæl.vən ˈfɪntʃ | Kalvin Finch) was the twin brother of Sam Finch, the fourth child and the second son of Edie Finch. Calvin passing away at the age of eleven. Calvin had the same room as Sam, having his side of the room in a split containing his interests such as astronomy, the planets, and so on.
Calvin has an interest in the universe and the idea of an adventure. He is excitable and reckless, risking injuries or bumps for the sake of getting what he wants. After Barbara Finch's funeral, his mindset is not to be afraid in achieving what one wants, even in the face of adversary or futility. He even says he may die before eating "another mushroom," a sign of the excitement of danger Calvin likes.
On the swing, he is seen with an orthopedic cast on his left leg and is witnessed swinging violently, showing that consequences phase him no longer. On the same swing, he would think about the idea of flight and then wants to fly, so he did so, not knowing the possible consequences and adversaries that would eventually lead to his death.
The gameplay begins with Calvin on the swing going up and down, gradually swaying farther and higher. Edie calls for Calvin and Sam to come eat dinner, but Calvin continues to swing. Edie continues to call to no response. Eventually, Calvin would swing high enough to spin perpetually in a rotation before letting go of the swing and launching himself at the ocean.
Note from Sam Edit
by Sam Finch
The thing I remember is that when he made up his mind, that was it.
My brother said he'd die before he ate another mushroom. And he did.
At Barbara's funeral we swore we'd never be afraid again. And he wasn't. I think Calvin always wanted to fly but that day he finally made up his mind to do it. I told him going around was impossible. Maybe if I hadn't said that.
Or maybe if the wind hadn't picked up...
Then maybe he'd still be here but I doubt it. I think he'd already made up his mind. That's what I want to remember about my brother. The day he made up his mind to fly
By Sam's words, it is unknown what the point of no return was for Calvin. Possible cases are that:
- Calvin actually wanted to fly into the sunset
- Calvin got picked up by the wind
- Calvin could not stop without risking his cast breaking and needed external help to stop
- Calvin received negligence from all parties, becoming the catalyst for the previously mentioned.
- ↑ "Sam, Calvin, dinner's ready!" – Edith Finch's distant voice during the gameplay with Calvin
- ↑ Edith Finch's family tree in her diary and Calvin's bedroom door's date plaque
- ↑ Calvin's cast on his left leg with a bandage above and swinging on the swing violently
- ↑ "At Barbara's funeral we swore we'd never be afraid again. And he wasn't." – Sam Finch
- ↑ "My brother said he'd die before he ate another mushroom. And he did." – Sam Finch